Whether your aging parent lives far away and their health needs are changing, they require more care than you can provide or they simply deserve a more fulfilling lifestyle, considering a move to an assisted living community is something many adult children and their aging parents face. In some cases, they are more than willing to move to an assisted living community, especially when it means giving up the worries of homeownership and maintenance. Others are reluctant to leave the homes they know and love. When this happens, it can take some convincing to get your parent to consider making a move. While this may be trying and difficult, it’s certainly not impossible.
According to Alison Wall, Senior Living Consultant at TreVista Antioch, an assisted living and memory care community in Antioch, CA, reluctance is common when talking to your parent about assisted living. “It’s not unusual for aging parents to hold onto their desire to remain at home as long as possible, especially when they’ve lived in the same home for years and have shared many memories with family members there,” says Alison. “If you believe that considering an assisted living community is the best option for your aging parent, it’s important to broach the topic carefully and strategically. This is likely a conversation you’ll have a few times, so ensuring you bring it up calmly and respectfully can do wonders to make the discussion successful and productive. If they become upset or agitated during your conversation, refrain from arguing with them and instead bring the topic up at a better time later on, as heated discussions about assisted living don’t do much to convince a parent to make a move.”
Convincing Aging Parents to Consider Assisted Living
When it comes time for the assisted living discussion, knowing how to bring up the topic can make all the difference. Consider some of the following tips by Carol Bradley Bursack, author, speaker, columnist and eldercare consultant.
- Bring up assisted living in loose conversation. According to Carol, it’s important not to approach this subject like you’ve already made the decision they are moving. Get their thoughts and feelings about it and simply plant the seed in their mind. Making them feel as though you’ve already made the decision will only make them more reluctant to move.
- Visit a few assisted living communities with your parent. If they seem open to the idea and would like to tour a community, go with them. This can help them to experience what an assisted living community is really like, how it can enhance their life and why making the move might not be as bad as they previously thought.
- Use personal events as a way to state your case. If your parent often talks about being bored or lonely, hates doing housework or wishes they could get out more, share that assisted living communities can provide them with a maintenance-free lifestyle where they can enjoy engaging programming with other residents, make new friends and even enjoy outings throughout the local area.
- See if anyone your parent knows has recently moved. When they don’t know anyone in a new place, it can be unsettling and cause your parent a fair amount of anxiety. Asking around to see if any of their friends have recently moved to an assisted living community can help to form a bridge for your parent. This can make them consider moving more than before and even help them feel more comfortable with the idea. Talk to them about how they like it and then schedule a tour if your parent is interested.
- Be patient. If your loved one’s care needs aren’t urgent, don’t push them into an assisted living community. It can still help to bring it up when they are feeling particularly isolated or lonely, however. In the meantime, get them involved in programming or activities throughout the community, if possible, as this will help them make friends and feel more comfortable considering a move.
For more information about assisted living communities or to learn more effective tips on how to convince your aging parents to consider a move to an assisted living community, contact the experts at TreVista Antioch. We can provide helpful knowledge to ensure a successful discussion and provide the support you need through every step with support groups, guidance and personal tours to help your parent discover the lifestyle they are missing. Contact us today to schedule your tour or RSVP to a support group.
Making the everyday extraordinary.
Family-owned and operated, Agemark Senior Living is the new owner of TreVista Antioch. Known for creating warm, welcoming communities, vibrant lifestyles and engaging programming, Agemark has been one of the most premier and trusted senior living providers since 1987. As Agemark’s newest community, TreVista Antioch is located on 10 acres in a prime location close to shopping and local attractions, as well as the great outdoors. Our beautiful community features a personalized, resident-centric approach to care that provides support, all while helping residents live full, connected lives.
At TreVista Antioch, we provide assisted living and memory care set in a beautiful environment that not only meets our residents’ needs but makes them, as well as their families, feel more at home. Although our gorgeous community is a plus, we truly believe it’s our programming and caring, dedicated staff that makes TreVista home. With our family-oriented inspiration and resident-centric approach, our residents flourish and experience days full of joy and meaning. Our staff learns each resident’s likes and dislikes and their values and pasts, right down to the dreams they never thought they could accomplish, in order to customize their care and make their dreams a reality.
LifeCycles wellness programming encourages our residents to connect, engage and enjoy life, every day. Our LifeCycles programming is designed to focus on the four dimensions of wellness: physical, social, spiritual and intellectual. This is achieved through a wide range of daily activities and routines, from outings and excursions to local events and programming at the community. At TreVista Antioch, our residents have the tools and care they need to make each day fulfilling, engaging and vibrant. Contact us to learn more!
Call us at 925•329•6292 for more information or to schedule a personal visit today.
TreVista Antioch is part of the Agemark family of senior living communities.